Quick lunches are sometimes difficult to keep healthy; not with this version of egg salad though! By switching mayonnaise with avocado, this delicious meal can be prepared SO fast and will keep you full for hours! Don’t stress about weekdays lunches, this little recipe will make it easy.
Egg salad was always one of my favorite lunch sandwiches growing up. I still hard boil a batch of eggs every week just to throw them in whichever meals I can think of for a little extra protein throughout the day. This recipe was created on a workday when I literally threw all the random leftovers I had in the fridge into my lunch bag. Half an avocado and two eggs later…the avocado egg salad sandwich was born!
HOW TO PERFECTLY HARD BOIL AN EGG (if you don’t know):
- Place eggs in the bottom of a pot and fill with water until the eggs are covered with enough room to move around and not come out of the water.
- Bring water to a boil
- Once boiling, remove from the stove top and cover with a lid to let sit for 11-12 minutes.
- Remove eggs from hot water and place them in an ice bath for at least 10 minutes. This makes it easier for you to peel the shell off!
Now that your eggs are hard boiled, it’s time to get mixing! I would recommend mixing up your egg salad right before eating it so that your avocado doesn’t turn brown. This isn’t the best recipe to make a day ahead. It’s still just as tasty, but doesn’t look nearly as appetizing.
My version of this recipe is SUPER simple. I enjoy the taste of egg and avocado, so I don’t feel the need to add anything else. If you’re in need of some crunch, try adding some celery, green onion, whole grain mustard, or some kind of nut! This is a recipe to get creative with! Grab a glass of lemonade and enjoy your deliciously light egg salad on any of your summer adventures.
- 2 Large Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1/2 Medium Hass Avocado
- 1 Whole Wheat English Muffin
- Salt and Pepper
- Hard boil your eggs in a large pot of boiling water (instructions on how to hard boil are above in this post)
- Peel shells off of eggs and cut into halves.
- Mix/chop eggs and avocado in a bowl with a fork. (Remove one egg yolk if you're looking for a lower calories meal)
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Spread on bread of choice and enjoy!
Until Next Time,